This simple dinner is perfect for Lent. Some Franciscan orders only eat Split Pea soup for all their meals for Lent as a sacrifice! This soup is a little more hardy with potatoes and carrots. Even though it is a simple meal, my children even enjoyed the taste. I like how easy it is to make too. Just add all the ingredients, simmer for 80 mins, and it is ready to go! My family enjoys this meal with a crusty bread on the side.
Split Pea Soup with Potatoes
- 1 yellow onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1.5 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 4 large carrots
- 4-5 red potatoes
- 1 lb dried split green peas
- 8 cups chicken stock or bone broth
- Cut up all vegetables into bite size pieces.
- Sauté garlic and onion for 5 mins.
- Add the rest of ingredients and simmer for 80 mins.
- Mash as much as you like, then serve hot.