This is one of my favorite childhood dinners my mom would make my family growing up! Now that I am a mom, I love this meal because it is hardy, kid friendly, healthy, and so easy to make!
Chicken and Broccoli Casserole
- 1 13x9 baking dish
- 2 cups cooked chicken, roughly chopped (rotisserie chicken works great as well)
- 12 ounces frozen broccoli
- 1 cup uncooked white rice
- 1/2 lemon, squeezed
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup mayonaise
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more for later
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4-6 slices white bread
- 2 tablespoons butter
- garlic powder, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place one cup of white rice in the baking dish. Pat it out so that it covers the bottom of the dish.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine broth, lemon juice, mayonnaise, salt, and pepper. Whisk everything together. Set aside.
- Place chicken on top of the rice, followed by frozen broccoli and then broth mixture.
- Place in the oven for one hour.
- Meanwhile as the casserole cooks, chop bread into 2 inch pieces.
- In a large skillet, warm butter. Once butter has melted, add bread crumbs and combine thoroughly. Turn off the heat.
- When casserole has finished cooking, remove the dish from the oven and layer bread crumbs on top. Then add salt and garlic powder to taste.
- Broil casserole in the oven for about 2-3 minutes, just long enough for bread crumbs to toast slightly. Make sure to watch it very closely to make sure it doesn't burn!
- Your dish is complete! Enjoy!